Key Mentions for the Poultry Sector in the 2018 National Budget Statement:
- Whereas other meat products such as beef, chicken and pork are exempt from VAT, meat of goats and sheep is liable to a 15% standard rate of VAT.
- Adequate preparations are key for a successful agricultural season. Accordingly, and in collaboration with the private sector, Government support will see the 2018 Budget allocate 9% of the total Budget to agriculture, up from 7% in 2017.
- Government is in the process of extending the ‘Command Programme’ to include livestock and fisheries.
- Budget interventions will, therefore, reinforce livestock and poultry pest control, as well as disease surveillance, to reduce incidences of Foot and Mouth, Anthrax, Avian Flu and Newcastle diseases outbreaks.
- To support the revival of the livestock and poultry industries, the 2018 Budget is appropriating US$9.4 million, inclusive of US$5.5 million income from dipping fees, towards dipping and vaccination services, movement control and surveillance programmes.
Download the full 2018 National Budget Statement.